What happens on SEN Support?

You will be asked to come into school to talk about your child and the teacher will explain why he or she thinks your child requires additional support. This support forms part of a ‘Graduated Approach’. The Graduated Approach is for all pupils who may require some additional support and is part of ‘Quality First’ teaching

Your teacher will have assessed your child then, with the help of the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and working closely with external experts when needed (such as an Educational Psychologist (EP) or Speech and Language Therapist (SaLT), will plan your child’s support. The teacher will then do what has been agreed and review how well your child got on with this support. You should be fully involved too.

A range of evidence-based and effective teaching approaches, appropriate equipment, strategies and interventions should be considered in order to support your child’s progress.

Your child’s teacher (or subject teacher) is the person responsible for working with your child on a daily basis. He or she remains responsible for your child’s learning, even if your child is receiving support outside of the classroom. All teachers and support staff should be made aware of your child’s needs, the outcomes sought and the provision required.

The SEND Code of Practice (SENDCoP) does not say often reviews should take place, but schools must meet parents three times a year, so it would be good practice to review the SEN Support plan at least termly. Information about how well the extra support has worked helps to inform the next ‘cycle’ of support.

You should receive a copy of the SEN Support record.

Children might not need to stay on SEN Support if the extra provision has helped them with their difficulty. Other children might stay on SEN Support for longer, going through more ‘cycles’ of support. For a few children, SEN Support might not be enough to meet their needs, or the school might not be able to continue to give the higher level of support long-term. At this point, the school should request that the local authority (LA) conducts a Needs Assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). You can also ask for a Needs Assessment yourself.

1 See the SEND Code of Practice, section 6